Of late, I have been trying to perfect my baking skills and decided to tackle pound cake, a Southern staple. It is a great way to use some of the farm eggs a friend has been sharing with us. I made pound cake 3 weeks ago. The recipe had little flavor and the cake was quite dry. Since I had two dozen fresh eggs, I made another stab at it today. To add to the complications of baking, my mother-in-law was a great cook. I have her legacy to live up to but usually without the luxury of her recipes. I have some of them but we have no idea where the majority of them went. I used her Good Housekeeping Cookbook from 1939! This version is much better than the last one, but still needs to be moister. My husband does science and research and is usually all for making 'lab notes' in the kitchen and go from there next time. With the pound cake thing, he wants me to keep trying different recipes. I think I'll never get it right if I do that. Oh well, they will be eaten. No danger of them going to waste. Perhaps I'll try it again in a few weeks.
Welcome back! I`m glad you are here again. The next year you must blog two times every day :-)
ReplyDeleteGitte from Denmark
Shall I make a copy of Gramma Byrd's and mail it to you? Or Best Thing - the Knight's assistant's wife - has a good recipe...
ReplyDeleteYummy.... I must get back to baking more!
ReplyDeleteI bet Marjie can help. At least you'll have fun eating the test cakes.
ReplyDelete